Do you ever get tired of misleading error messages? I did my first installation of SharePoint SP1 on Windows Server 2012 R2 today. After I installed Reporting Services Add-In and confgiured Reporting Services Service Application I got the following error when clicking System Settings in the Manage Reporting Services Application – Reporting Services Service Application page in Central Admin:
Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.InternalCatalogException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.InternalCatalogException: An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details. ---> Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeCompatibilityException: There is a compatibility range mismatch between the Web server and database "SharePoint_AdminContent", and connections to the data have been blocked to due to this incompatibility. This can happen when a content database has not been upgraded to be within the compatibility range of the Web server, or if the database has been upgraded to a higher level than the web server. The Web server and the database must be upgraded to the same version and build level to return to compatibility range. at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedUpgradableObject.ValidateBackwardsCompatibility() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.PreinitializeServer(SPRequest request) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitializeSPRequest() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.EnsureSPRequest() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitWebPublic() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_AppInstanceId() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_Url() at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.Server.Utility.GetSPItemMetaDataAndContent(ItemSpecifier itemSpecifier, UserContext userContext, Boolean returnContent, Boolean wrapFileNotFoundOnOpenWeb, Byte& content) at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.Server.SharePointAuthorizationExtension.InternalCheckAccess(UserContext userContext, ExternalItemPath itemPath, RSSPBasePermissions requiredRights) at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.Server.SharePointAuthorizationExtension.CheckAccess(UserContext userContext, ExternalItemPath path, CatalogOperation requiredOperation) at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.GetSystemPropertiesAction.PerformActionNow() at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.RSSoapAction`1.Execute() -
The user that you have configured as service application account for reporting services does not have enough permissions on the SharePoint_Admin Content database. Adding the service application account to the role SPDataAccess of SharePoint_Admin Content database seem to solve the problem.